Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Candied Ginger - day 5


Okay, so I'm thinking that I didn't read the recipe properly yesterday. Or else I did something wrong, like overcooking the ginger. The ginger and syrup was one big lump of stuff, so it would have taken a month of Sundays to "drain the ginger". So I reheated the saucepan a bit, and added a little bit of water to thin the syrup.

Once the syrup was thin enough to actually remove the ginger and lemon, I followed the directions and set out the bits of ginger and lemon on a rack. The bits of ginger were actually more like clumps of ginger... I tasted a piece and it was deliciously hot!

Yesterday I said I didn't think I had 5 cups of anything, although the recipe said it makes 5 cups. I poured the syrup into a measuring cup and I got almost exactly two cups. It is very sweet and quite gingery. I took this photo after the syrup had cooled to room temperature, so you can can see how thick it is.. :)

Canton Candied Ginger
Day 5:
  • Drain the ginger from day 4 cooking.
  • Reserve the syrup for sauces or gingerbread.
  • Put the ginger on a rack over a tray.
  • Leave uncovered overnight.
  • The next day, (day 5), roll the ginger in granulated sugar.
  • Store in tightly covered glass jars.

Rereading this section, it now seems that I should have drained the ginger at the end of day 4. Oh well, will have to see how it turns out.

No comments: