The living had two boxed in beams at the ceiling that sort of defined the living room. I didn't really care for them and took a peek under one to see what it was like, and found it was just fake. These photos are of the one by the front door.
After I took off the beam, I found a 2x4 by the door, where there had obviously been a wall. I took the 2x4 out but that created a hole, and I also discovered a great gale (as my mother would say) was blowing through that hole. So I got out the can of spray foam, and filled in the cracks. I taped some old flyters to the wall and on top of the half wall so that those surfaces wouldn't get wrecked if the spray foam dripped there. (It is like a crazy kind of crazy glue!)
This photo is after I took the taped up papers down and trimmed off the excess spray foam with a knife. I then filled in the hole with a piece of drywall, and started mudding it to blend it in to the rest of the ceiling. Sorry, I just realized that I don't have any photos of that so will have to take one.