Friday, January 13, 2006

Day 281: Painting pains

First, I forgot to mention that John has ordered the replacement sealed unit for the office window. See post from Jan 2nd for a photo and the story. Thank you John.

The delay in the drywall completion has thrown the whole schedule for a loop. The drywall still has to be completed, will likely take a week at the rate it is going (so that will be a total of 4 weeks, not the two weeks promised!).

We had lined up the flooring for Wed Jan 18th installation start - that will probably have to be delayed until at least January 30th, if not later. The cabinets were scheduled for production the week of January 30th. We were trying to get that moved earlier, but clearly it now has to be delayed, probably a week, perhaps more. Since nobody has a clue about the schedule, we don't know what to tell these suppliers. It will probably end up causing us a delay.

The problem we have is painters.

Charles had a quote from a Ben Moore painter early December. When I called him to ask for the requote (exclude priming the basement and garage) he told me he hadn't heard anything about the job so assumed he didn't get it and was busy until the end of January. When I spoke with him, I thought we would need the painting done in January, but said I we would like to hire him and would check into the schedule in case it would work out. I wasn't able to get in touch with him this week. This afternoon he called to say he had been at a job in Cornwall and had taken another job and was busy for at least two more weeks. Aargh!

The other painting quotes were from (a) a couple of guys who we turned down - the job was too big for them and (b) a painter we have used before who is almost twice as expensive as the other guy.

It was +8C today, so when I got home from work today Freda and I took all the deck furniture and put it in the garage (before it freezes solid to the deck), as well as the wheelbarrow, and the barbecue. I also took the Christmas lights down and only broke 3 or 4 bulbs. Whoops!

I am in a bear of a mood today. I only have two more things to say today:
(a) if you ever think of building a house, shoot yourself in the foot - it's much less painful. And if that's not too bad, keep shooting yourself in different places until it hurts too much.
(b) I think I'm going to take up heavy drinking. And none of that beer or wine stuff - that's for pansies. Just the hard stuff. The stuff that makes you choke and gag and sputter.

No comments: