Sunday, January 08, 2006

Day 276: S t r e s s . . . . .............

Stress is in the air. It is unavoidable. It is palpable. The movers are coming on Saturday January 28th to take our possessions to our new house. We would like to be able to be able to live there after our move date, but that may not be possible.

The crew is working hard to do whatever they can to make this happen, but we are being held up by the drywallers. This will put major pressure on the painters.

Yesterday, Freda and I picked up the rest of the interior door hardware (hinges, handles, knobs, ball catches, door stops, sliding door hardware, etc) from Preston Hardware - all in satin nickel. Freda also picked up some paint sample pots from Ben Moore of the leading paint colour contenders.

Catastrophe averted
On Friday, I started the task of priming the mouldings that were delivered in the morning - Charles helped me prime the first batch of casing on Friday afternoon. I did more painting yesterday. Today, before starting painting, I moved all the primed trip to the top shelf of the drying rack (see photo from Friday Jan 6th). When I had finished doing that, I noticed that one of the 1x4 used for the side supports was starting to separate - it was a bit punky so didn't have a lot of strength. Uh-oh! If that support failed, then there would be a big mess of casing on the floor!!!! I slid the casing to the edges of the 3rd shelf to ease the pressure on the punky piece of wood and then attached a piece of a steel stud to reinforce the shelf. Whew! Catastrophe averted! (Well, maybe catastrophe is a bit of an overstatement.)

Today, Carl (a neighbour) helped me prime all the casing, bullnose and window stool that was delivered on Friday. I also prepared the sample boards for Freda to see a larger area in the various colours.

What is left to prime? The door casing, baseboards, doorstop, baseblocks, and panel moulding.

No comments: