Saturday, June 12, 2010

Birds and more birds


June 3, 2010
Canada Geese - 3 family groupings and two adult geese not with any of the babies. The three groupings from L-R, 6 goslings with two adults, 9 goslings with two adults, and five goslings with four adults, for a total of 20 goslings and 10 adults.

June 7, 2010
Red-breasted Robin. We think this is the female of the nesting pair.

June 7, 2010
Red-breasted Robin. We think this is the male of the nesting pair. He's quite a bit plumper than the female (above).

June 7, 2010
A plethora of American Goldfinches, including one in-flight.

June 7, 2010
This poor juvenile female American Goldfinch flew into the kitchen window and broke its neck. I buried it on the side of sunny south-facing slope near some thistles (Goldfinches eat thistle seeds).

June 8, 2010
This is a Killdeer. They are always very close when I don't have the camera soo this is the best photo I have. I will see if I can do better...

June 8, 2010
I love this photo of the robin on the rocks. Very pretty.

June 8, 2010
Hmm, why is the robin in the next again when the babies have already flown the coop??

Update June 13: I found one of the baby robins, dead in front of a window. We think it probably flew into the window and broke its neck. Freda buried it on a sunny slope facing east.


June 9, 2010
I snapped this photo of this strange bird at the Goldfinch Feeder. At first I thought it might be a juvenile Goldfinch, but the tail is too short - it's almost non-existent (look at the tail of the goldfinch just above it!). I have several other photos of this unusual bird, but this is the best one.

June 10, 2010
Action shot of the Goldfinches!!

June 10, 2010
The Blue Jay (top left) and the starling (just behind the feeder at bottom right) just had a bit of a squabble about who got to feed at the sunflower seed feeder. I think they were squabbling because there weren't many sunflower seeds left, so I filled up the feeder. The birds can go through about 5 lbs of sunflower seeds a day, and probably more if I kept it filled up all the time...

June 10, 2010
A close-up of a starling.

June 11, 2010
This is an injured deer fly. It was injured when it landed on me and I was able to smack it and I guess that it can't fly anymore. If you see these flies with their patterned wings land on you, you can be sure that they will have no hesitation at taking a big bite out of you, so I'm not feeling so sorry for it now... Deer fly bites swell up a bit, and are incredibly itchy for several days, and can take 4-5 days to heal (or a lot more if you scratch the bite initially!).

June 12, 2010
A dove, sitting on the fence with its feathers all puffed out...

No comments: