Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Cooking - cauliflower mac and cheese


Tonight I made a vegetarian dish - cauliflower macaroni and cheese. These are all the ingredients.

Substitutions: I used a whole cauliflower instead of just half a one. I didn't have fresh parsley so I used parsley flakes. But I didn't have enough parsley flakes so I added tarragon flakes. I also added a bit of ground chili and some chili flakes for a bit of spice. I grated some parmesan to replace the havarti the recipe called for. I didn't add the optional cubed ham or roast beef because I wanted it to be a vegetarian dish.

The Oxo packets were chicken flavouring as the recipe called for blanching the cauliflower in chicken stock. After blanching and draining, the recipe called for saving 1/2 cup of stock. Instead of throwing the rest of it down the drain, I added it to the water that I cooked the macaroni in. I mixed the cooked macaroni in with the cauliflower and the spices, and then added the cheese and a touch of turmeric.

This is what it looked like after it came out of the oven. It smelled heavenly!

And we enjoyed the dish with some salad. It certainly added some nice coulour to the plate too.

Tawny enjoyed it too, as you can tell from her vigorous licking... and her hanging onto the pan with her paw!

No comments: