Saturday, October 24, 2009

The end of the Elms - part 2


Saturday morning came with the forecast milder temperatures, but without the forecast rain. That was good because it meant that Steve could come by and finish cutting up the remaining elm tree that was on our front lawn.

Steve was kind enough to cut the stumps down so they would be below the level of the soil, once I filled in the hole with dirt - you can see they are flat here, which is different from in the above photo. Steve mentioned that he had heard that putting some Septobac on the stumps would help accelerate the decomposition of the stumps. I had some of that, so I put a pouch on each of the stumps. The other powder over the twigs, leaves, and the rest of the hole, is bone meal - I spread it out to add nutrients to the soil.

This photo is after dumping a trailer load of dirt on top of the stumps. I had a number of egg cartons that I put in the hole, since they are biodegradable.

This is the final photo. I put 5 trailer loads of dirt into the hole, as well as bone meal and some egg cartons. There is still a bit of hollow there, but I used up the rest of the dirt pile that I had, so that's the best that I could do.

Since it was so mild, I also put another coat of paint on the front door. As it was getting dark, I couldn't see how it turned out, so I will have to wait until tomorrow to see the results. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best...

No comments: