Thursday, May 14, 2009

Rose-Breasted Grosbeak


I believe this bird is a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak. Note the big bill that's good for crushing seeds (not the big bill that flattens wallets - haha). This is the first time I have seen one of these at our feeder.

BTW, sorry about the blurry photo, it's the best I can do with our cameras.

I also saw a number of Red-Winged Blackbirds eating off the ground - this was just below the bird feeder so they may have been eating seeds that had fallen on the ground, or else maybe bugs of some sort.

Can anyone identify the brown bird at the bottom left-center? I didn't even notice it until I zoomed in on the red-winged blackbird!

I am happy to report that we have not had any bird kills from window strikes so far this year. (knock on wood) It was very windy today, and must have been too much for the gold finches as the finch feeder was still 3/4 full when I went to refill it this afternoon. It is usually 3/4 empty every day!

No comments: