Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Some of the birds I have seen


These are photos of some of the birds I saw on May 19th, clockwise from top left:

White crowned sparrow - photo from www.ottawacitizen.com/birds photo gallery.

Red wing blackbird - also from www.ottawacitizen.com/birds photo gallery.

Barn swallow - taken during a light rain shower - I think the birds were enjoying a little shower. The white feathers on the wing are unusual - maybe this is an adolescent? I asked the Ottawa Citizen bird columnist, Elizabeth Le Geyt, about this and she wrote "It must have been desparate for food or perhaps looking for mud for its nest to have been on the ground. Not a very usual place for this superb flyer hawking for insects in the sky". We certainly have a bumper crops of insects this spring, so maybe it was looking for nesting materials.

Eastern bluebird - also from www.ottawacitizen.com/birds photo gallery.

Besides the American Goldfinches (pictures previously posted), I also saw some Chipping Sparrows, Common Grackle (I think), American Robin (who knew that was it's official name?!?!), and a group of Brown Headed Cowbirds. My photos of these birds are far too blurry to be of any use posting. (The barn swallow above is the best of the bunch, and that's not saying much.)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: