Saturday, September 23, 2006

To the fair!

On Saturday we went to the Carp Fair. This fair bills itself as the "biggest little fair in Eastern Ontario". At the display of tractors, I found a couple of displays by Bob Miller, our good friend from Regina. Actually, I'm not sure if Bob has been this far east, there is a chance that it might be another Bob Miller, although chances are slim since it is such an unusual name! :))
This is a collage of some of the photos I took at the fair. Clockwise, from top left:
[TL] 1929 Oliver Hart-Parr tractor (one of the few that didn't look like it came straight out of a showroom). This tractor has solid rear tires. I suspect the rubber was added by a previous owner and is not original.
[TR] Gypsy Caravanner horse. Bred by gypsies in England to draw their caravans. The description said it is an intelligent horse, and is now used for many things.
[BR] Ducks and geese.
[BL] Pig and piglet - they looked like they were feeding while asleep.

This was the winning team from the 8-horse team of Clydesdales (I think). Amazingly massive animals, their hooves looked like the size of dinner places! I could feel the ground shake as the these horses trotted by a few feet away. I think this team won because everything they did was in unision, including picking up their feet and trotting along.

Obviously a labour of love as the owner must have spent many many hours training these horses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,

I can't take credit for every tractor with my name on it. I've built a few, but only small ones. :)

I do have a namesake who goes around leaving a trail of unpaid bills, so if any of those tractors get reposessed, it's probably him.

Bob

Mark said...

You are ever so funny Bob!!

Has your doppelganger been making life difficult for you Bob? No doubt.

Or perhaps it is really a portrait?? (Tip: think Dorian Gray)